Good place to live

 Today I have energy and did tasks. 

1. Go for a blood test
2. Go to the lawyer's office to update my will
3. Go to the post office to renew mail forwarding for another year. Just in case some T slip comes through and we don't otherwise know about it. Estate things are slow. 
4. Found the list of phone numbers to do with the Cancer Center in Regina, instructions on how to get refills on schedule.  Phoned, got through right away. A direct line to the actual pharmacy there. Did not have to be routed through the front desk with it's very unreliable phone menu operation and no one picking up. 

Anyway, while I was out and about, I felt grateful to my earlier 2009 self for choosing to live in a goldilocks place like this (even though it took getting used to after living in Vancouver for decades....).  Plenty of fresh air and blue sky. No wild fires. Just the right latitude, altitude, climate (so far, for me personally).
Just the right size for any person moving deeper into old age. 
From where I live, the hospital lab is just under a half mile away, 700 metres. Parking is free. 
The post office is three and a half blocks away, 400 meters.
The lawyers office is across the street and down half a block.
Really, very manageable. And walkable. 

All went smoothly. I'm starting to see the structure now, the bureaucratic structure of the medical system, especially the cancer management part of it. Very efficient. And (as long as you can find the paper with said direct line phone number on it), immediately responsive. And coordinated. 

Canada is a good place to live. It has health care and MAiD. 
Saskatchewan is a good place to live.  It has the Allan Blair Cancer Center.  It has the Sask. Health Agency. I feel safely tucked in under strong warm wings. I don't have to pay a nickel for any of this care, including the chemo pills, all the tests, all of it.  
Weyburn is a good place to live. It's small enough to walk around in and big enough to have centralized cancer services available. Perfect size for someone like me at this age and stage. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's been a month since the big announcement

Cave

Childhood context